Cathedral of the Sacred Heart | 414 W. 11th St. Pueblo, CO 81003-2888 | 719.544.5175
Sacred Heart V2
National Register of Historic Places
The recorded history of the Cathedral starts on October 20, 1872 when Rev. Carlos Pinto, SJ, baptized Anastacia Aragon. The church began as St. Ignatius; staffed by Jesuit Fathers and the first parish church was built in 1873 at 13th and West Streets. The church was destroyed by fire in 1882 and a second church was built on Grand Avenue between 10th and 11th Streets. Joseph Machebeuf, first Bishop of Colorado, appointed Father Bender as the first diocesan priest in 1887. On February 6, 1910 Rev. Thomas Wolohan was appointed pastor and under his direction, the present church was built at a cost of $48,000 and renamed Sacred Heart.
Sacred Heart became the Cathedral of the new Pueblo Diocese on November 15, 1941. The church was renovated in 1988 to repair structural damage, update the heating/cooling system, provide a restroom and a handicap entrance. The restoration revived treasures of stained glass and Gothic architecture. The U.S Dept. of Interior placed the Cathedral on the National Register of Historic Places on February 6, 1989. A hail storm damaged the stained glass windows and were restored in 2007. In 2009, lightning struck the steeple and the upper half of the steeple was replaced. The Rectory was refurbished in 2011. Also in 2011, "The Friends of the Cathedral" provided updated lighting and additions to the sound system in the church.
The Patroness of the Diocese of Pueblo is Saint Therese of Lisieux and bronze sculpture by artist Huberto Maestas of San Luis, Colorado was commissioned by Anthony Capps-Capozzolo.
Copyright (C) 2/1/2013